Probably the biggest mistake, we see in online poker, is the tendency to slow-play strong hands. Against many popular players it appears you should fold if they check or call and to raise if they bet. They continuously play weak hands aggressively but slow-play big hands. Slow-playing your good hands, has several weaknesses, and habitually slow-playing the big hands, is a very bad pattern to develop.
The Disadvantages of Slow-Play
Here are some of the reasons you should seldom slow-play.
- You aren’t getting more money into the pot. You need to build the pot early so your opponents will be more likely to call a real big bet later.
- If you always make the continuation bet with marginal hands and slow-play the big ones, your marginal hands aren’t disguised. Your opponents can better evaluate your hand.
- Often on the Turn or River a scare card can hit and kill any action. If you made a great hand on the flop, the flop is probably coordinated. Any three coordinated cards have at least eight cards that fit and will kill subsequent action. The scarier the board the more action killer outs that are available. One of the killer outs will hit on the Turn about 15% of the time and 30% on the Turn and the River.
- If the board is coordinated, your opponents are more likely to have a draw and will call your bets early but fold when they miss the draw. Bet it out.
- A small Full House is even in jeopardy, and there is no nut Flush, or straight when the board pairs.
- Even slow-playing, hoping for a check raise often reduces your EV. Unless you have a very aggressive opponent to your left, it is best to bet it out, and if he is that aggressive, bet it out and let him raise. Many astute players will fold to a check raise but call a reraise. (Check Raising is a powerful weapon, and like Nukes it should only be used to alert your opponents that it can be used.)
Of course there are times when slow-playing is the best play.
- When you have a very aggressive player to your left and you know he will bet.
- The game is very tight and none of your opponents can be expected to call a bet. (Actually, I suggest you change games in this situation.)
- The board is very uncoordinated and your hand is well disguised. (In early position if the flop has produced a straight or flush draw, bet your sets. If the board is ragged, consider slow-playing your set. In late position, you first inclination should be to bet. Let them think you are trying to steal.)
- Use the Check Raise when you know you will get raised and, your reraise will be called, or you can trap opponents that act after the original raiser. (If you have opponents between you and the probable raiser, bet it out and hope for the raise to set the trap. If the other opponents act after the probable raiser, go for the Check Raise.)
- In limit poker, slow-playing on the flop is usually correct if your opponents can be expected to call a bet on the Turn when the bet size doubles.
To sum it up, slow-playing a big hand is often a bad proposition. You often leave money on the table. Your opponents may identify the pattern, and your continuation bets with weaker hands become vulnerable. I’m not suggesting that you never slow-play but your first inclination should always be to, bet it out.
Slow-Playing Big Hands Preflop
WE DO NOT TRANSFER YOUR DATA TO THIRD PARTIESAnd we will never allow ourselves to do this, because we despise spam.
Your privacy is very important to us. We want your work on the Internet to be as pleasant and useful as possible, and you completely calmly used the broadest range of information, tools and opportunities that the Internet offers.DATA COLLECTED ON THE SITE There are few buttons on the web page and the related landing pages (located in the domain name v-pokere.ru including its subdomains) that will lead you to to the application form. This forms are the only place where you can be required to leave your data, such as name, e-mail, Skype, preferred messenger account (such as Telegram, Viber or WhatsApp) or phone number.DATA COLLECTION PURPOSE We use your contact data solely to provide you with consultation and support services, send news, useful materials, commercial offers. Your contacts are not transferred to third parties, not even under any circumstances.
Nevertheless, even though we are committed to protecting your personal information, you must also take steps to protect it.
By using this Site, you agree with the "Release of Liability" and the established rules and accept all responsibility , which can be assigned to you.
- The information placed on pokerbroz.com including pages located on the subdomains (hereinafter referred to as the Site) is intended for free familiarization of users with questions that may be of interest to them.
- All information is provided in its original form, without guarantees of completeness or timeliness, and without other express or implied warranties. Access to the Site, as well as the use of its Content, is carried out exclusively at your discretion and at your own risk.
- The Administration of the Site makes every effort to provide users with accurate and reliable information, but at the same time does not exclude the possibility of errors or changes.
- The Administration disclaims any representations or warranties that may be otherwise implied and disclaims any liability with respect to the Site, the Content and its use.
- Under no circumstances will the Administration be liable to any party for any direct, indirect, special or other consequential damages as a result of any use of information on this Site or on any other website to which there is a hyperlink from our website: the occurrence of dependence, decrease in productivity, dismissal or interruption of labor activity, as well as deductions from educational institutions, for any lost of profits, suspension of economic activities, loss of programs or data in information systems or otherwise arising from the access, use or inability to use the Site, the Content or any linked Internet site, or inability, error, omission, interruption, defect, idle time or delay in transmission, computer virus or a system failure, even if the administration is explicitly informed of the possibility of such damage.
- All rights to the materials on the Site are protected in accordance with the laws of the EU, the Republic of Belarus, the Russian Federation and Ukraine, including copyright and related rights.
- The User agrees that the rules and laws on consumer protection can not be applied to the use of the Site by him, since it does not provide reimbursable services.